Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A little taste of the 1900's :)

Well as I am off to dinner in just a sec I thought I would make a nice even if it is short post, I thought I would do it on “Turn of the Century” Clothing as 1900 will always be the turn of the century to me, and I thought it would be nice to chose this time as I know its one of Making Changes favs, and since I can't find my cameras to take pictures of me in my new necklace sigh, I will make a post of me wearing my new bad ass necklace just have to figure where I put it, I have a feeling it might be in my suit case from when my fiance and I went to San Antonio and well I will just admit I am not the most organized person, but be that as it may since I can't post pictures of my new necklace well I guess you can't call it really new as its from 1795-1820 but its new to me heehee but anyway since I can't make a post with pictures of me wearing it I thought I would make a short but nice post for “Making Changes” Hope you like it, I dare say it would be better if I wasn't in a hurry :(

Photobucket
Great photo of a beauty of the day wearing a very awesome lace summer dress I would love to have a dress like this and I love the hat too, but I am a hat person heehee :)


Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
A equally beautiful lace summer dress too made of fine linen and all so much lace it just makes me want to sigh, and I love the silk ribbon and rosette at the waist and matching rosette at the collar its just all so grand and in great condition dress is from around 1902-04 and yep I want it but who wouldn't?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Another great summer dress lovely white cotton with a candy green trim which I adore I love the smart look to it to, everything about this dress is good, and its in great condition too from around 1905-07.
Now I have found clothing in really good condition as far back as the 1670's but those items are very rare indeed but I find if its in good condition its how it was stored if you store your gown well ie away from the moths away from damp spots your gown will stay well but if you store it bad thats when you find a lot of gowns that are in bad condition, now I m not saying you can't have destruction of a gown from oils and sweat and things like that but the biggest deterioration is from how people over the years stored there gowns, for the materials back then where made to last!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket
I just love this dress I could so see my great grandmother Lydia wearing this! Of course she would have been a teenager then but its so pretty I know she would have wanted it as much as I do! This absolutely gorgeous 1907-09 blue silk satin gown with awesome beading and of course lace! I love the puffed sleeves, heck I don't think there is anything on here I don't like.
Well thats it for today as I m literally out the door I hope you all enjoyed this and side note keep old dresses away from moths don't hang them on hangers as it can pull on them, also acid free tissue paper is great for putting them in, I would say fold them up in the tissue paper then put them in a dresser far away from moths and dampness, and when you are ready to wear just unfold, do not use irons! Thats really bad, and anyway a wrinkle here or there wont hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment