Monday, August 30, 2010

Tea time with the 1870's :)

Well technically we are rather past tea time, as tea time was most poplar at 4 or 4:30 but you can't say 5:33 is really tea time, but oh well, so I m a bit late, lets continue on this awesome post even if its not long I intend to put some fabulous clothes from the 1870's in this post. SO I hope you all enjoy :)

Photobucket
Great painting of two ladies partaking in the ritual of Tea which in the Victorian area was super popular and important, even if a family was poor the lady would at least try and have one good tea pot and tea set, and lets not even suggest skipping tea time that would have been sacrilege! Now in the UK they still practice high tea but not as religiously as in the past, ah but I get side tracked yet again, I swear I need to pin my mind to my head heehee....Now back to this painting and these lovely ladies in there all so pretty tea outfits, the lady on the right with black hair has a awesome light yellow linen dress with black velvet sleeves and van dyke styled lace on the sleeves also have a small black velvet collar and I love the Greek black trimmed design on the skirt :), now normally I would say light yellow and black, are you kidding me?? But hey this dress really works out and looks great on this lady, now to the lady on the left with the blond hair shes wearing a light pink and white cotton dress with ruffled collar, and I adore this dress like wise, IE I would take hem both :) Well these two beauties are decked out painting is around 1874-77, and a perfect example of good tea dresses :)

Photobucket
Now I said tea time, but who could not post this great photo of this lovely lady who I wish we could see her dress more :( Cause it hints at greatness! Which means I need to see it! Oh well guess I will have to have my imagination do the work, but I dare say with that nice ruffled collar and how low cut it is that its a fine evening gown or ball gown and I m going to be psychic here as this photo is from around 1877-79 I m going to say it has a bustle! I m so physic it even amazes me heehee, but truth be told the bustle was so very popular that I would say 90 percent of the lady population was wearing the bustle.

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
This dress is sadly not in the best condition sigh but f you can look past the tares and stains you will see this is really a great dress and worth representing the 1870's I love the blue and white stripped materiel also love the ruffled trim and the bright blue buttons this dress has more of an 1860's waist to it and is very much a summer gown! And well it could have been used to drink tea in and eat yummy scones with butter and jelly on them, ah I m going to make myself hungry, my best friend Michele always says that she has an extra stomach just for deserts! I need that I m full but I could go for some scones yum yum! And this dress would be perfect for tea time, this great gown is from around 1870-74 and remember what I said don't be too harsh on the poor dress, it is grand in its own right. And I would take it in a heart beat!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Awesome yellow silk with lots of lace, this is one of these dresses where the draping of materiel makes such a difference in my opinion, and I love everything about this from the long train and bustle to the way the materiel is draped its all grand and wonderful this great dress is from around 1875-77 and you better believe I want it! :)

Photobucket
Awesome summer white linen with black trim and wonderful scalloped edges the only bad thing is I only have one picture of this great dress sigh, but at least I have one instead of none, this awesome outfit is from around 1870-73 and it still has a good bit of hints from the 1860's in this.

Photobucket
Yet another grand dress that sadly I only have one picture of but what a great dramatic black and red floral gown with lovely lace I so want this dress! Maybe one day I will make one like it?? Its an idea, and you have to admit this is a great 1875-77 gown! And you know how much I love bustles and trains ah so perfect :)

Photobucket
Perfect afternoon dress and Japaneses inspired silk, I m not sure if the silk is an import from Japan or if a silk mill here made the Japaneses inspired pattern in the silk? But what I do know is Japaneses things where very hot! So having a dress like this would have been ultra chic! And this is a very pretty dress I wish it was mine and I wish I had more than one photo of it sigh :( But hey at least I got the one, this great dress is from around 1873-76.

Well that does it for today sorry its a bit short but I hope its at least enjoyable :)

No comments:

Post a Comment